- Delhaize and Lidl lead in sustainability, but “lots of room for improvement”
Belgian supermarkets are still not doing enough for the environment and climate: they shift most of the responsibility to their consumers. Delhaize and Lidl emerge as frontrunners, but the differences between the chains are small.
- End of all hope for Makro Belgium as final bid is rejected
As the administrators have rejected the only bid for the six Belgian Makro stores, there is no hope left for the chain. Its less perilous sibling Metro, meanwhile, will most likely be acquired by Dutch competitor Sligro.
- How Casa developed its own e-commerce in two weeks’ timeHome18 November, 2022
Putting your entire product range online in a fortnight and launching e-commerce in-house? Belgian home improvement chain Casa did it. Out of necessity, because its shops were packed with Christmas decorations when the second lockdown hit. Today, Casa is still reaping the benefits.
- Why Alibaba has stopped releasing Singles’ Day sales figuresGeneral16 November, 2022
- Belgian e-commerce grows again: who wins, who loses?General10 November, 2022
- Why brand manufacturers take aim at European retail alliancesFood10 November, 2022
- The curtain falls for Made.com: bankruptcy is nearHome2 November, 2022
- Carrefour delivers groceries straight to the fridgeFood2 November, 2022
- Estée Lauder to acquire Tom Ford after all?Beauty/Care15 November, 2022
Coup de théâtre in the soap about the acquisition of fashion brand Tom Ford. Suddenly it seems like not Kering, but Estée Lauder will emerge victorious. The acquisition sum of 2.8 billion dollars would make this deal the biggest in Estée Lauder’s history.
- Primark owner suffers billion-pound inflation blowFashion10 November, 2022
AB Foods, which owns fast-fashion chain Primark and food brands like Twinings tea, has grown considerably last year despite inflation costs. The group profited from the post-pandemic recovery, even though consumer confidence remains very low.
- End draws near for Match in Flanders
In Edegem, near Antwerp, the local supermarket Match has closed and will be replaced by a Colruyt. The Louis Delhaize subsidiary now only has three supermarkets remaining in the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium, as its Mechelen supermarket closed this summer.
- Just Eat Takeaway.com and Getir join forces
Dutch meal delivery company Just Eat Takeaway is joining forces with Turkish quick commerce pioneer Getir: German customers will be the first to be able to order Getir products from their local JET subsidiary Lieferando. An expansion to France, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom is already in the making.
- CEO Ahold Delhaize USA to step downFood15 November, 2022
Dutch retail group Ahold Delhaize will have a new CEO for its American branch in five months’ time, as current CEO Kevin Holt plans to retire. The retailer already has its eyes on an internal successor, but he needs to earn shareholders’ approval.