Sale Le Printemps to Qatari finalised

Sale Le Printemps to Qatari finalised

French chain of luxury department stores Le Printemps has been sold completely to its new Qatari owners. The amount for which the company was bought has not been disclosed, but the investment fund is said to have paid 1.6 billion euro for the 70% of shares owned by Deutsche Bank and the remaining 30% owned by Italian company Borletti.

“Continue development”

The buyer is Luxembourg investment fund Divine Investments (DISA), which is completely owned by state fund Qatar Investment Authority. The French competition watchdog had already approved the takeover on 22 July and now the deal has been finalised.

 

DISA announced in a press release they want “to continue the development of the group Printemps in Paris as well as outside the city” and “to contribute to the international image of this symbol for French fashion and luxury”.

 

Sixteen locations in France

Currently Le Printemps has sixteen department stores in France, with the flagship store in Paris as absolute showstopper. The company eploys about 3,000 people and had sales of about 1.45 billion euro in 2012.

 

France is no new territory for the Qatari: they also own several French luxury hotels and other large companies. The public may know them best as owners of French football champions Paris Saint-Germain.

 

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


EuroCommerce: protectionism, Europe’s greatest challenge

15/09/2017

(Content provided by EuroCommerce) According to EuroCommerce Director-General Christian Verschueren, the sector faces many challenges due to a rising tide of protectionism worldwide and within Europe.

Last ten days for cheaper tickets Shoptalk Europe

14/09/2017

(advertorial) Shoptalk Europe (8-11 October in Copenhagen) is the new event for retail and ecommerce innovation. It covers transformational trends, technologies and business models reshaping how consumers discover and shop in an age of digital disruption.

"EU has to define eCommerce's boundaries better"

13/09/2017

Dutch European Parliament member Marietje Schaak feels the European Commission should create a better framework for digital trade in and with European member states. Otherwise, major internet companies will decide the standards themselves, she fears.

Europe wants legal framework for franchisees

13/09/2017

The European Parliament has accepted the “The functioning of franchising in the retail sector” study, which lists several solutions to strengthen a franchisee’s position.

Google appeals European fine after all

12/09/2017

Despite earlier indications that Google would just alter its Google Shopping approach to comply with European legislation, it has now decided to appeal the monster fine.

Experience the future of retail at Paris Retail Week

12/09/2017

(Advertorial) If you want to spot the latest retail trends, go to visit the Paris Retail Week, from 19 until 21 September. It is a trade show, network event and knowledge center with more than 200 freely accessible conferences, keynotes, info sessions and workshops.

Back to top