Belgian supermarket chain Delhaize saw its online orders increase by a quarter over the past six weeks, compared to last year’s year-end period. Last week, the retailer processed more than one million products ordered online in one week.
85 trucks per day
More and more shoppers prefer the convenience of ordering online to the end-of-year rush in shops, Delhaize reports. In the last six weeks of this year, the retailer already recorded 112,000 online orders: 25 % more than during the same period last year. Last week, the e-commerce department broke another record: order pickers processed one million ordered products in one week.
From Delhaize’s e-commerce distribution centre, where more than 800,000 products of more than 15,000 unique product references are ready and waiting, 85 delivery vans depart daily to deliver the orders. 70 % of the orders processed there are delivered at home, the remaining 30 % are picked up by customers at pick-up points in the stores.