Strong Belgian online sales in first quarter | RetailDetail

Strong Belgian online sales in first quarter

Strong Belgian online sales in first quarter

In the first quarter of 2015, the Belgian consumer has made over 20 million online transactions, worth 2.1 billion euro. According to the BeCommerce Market Monitor, the online market will generate more than 7 billion euro in turnover in 2015.

6.8 million Belgians bought something online

6.8 million Belgian citizens bought at least one product or service online in the first three months of 2015, meaning 74 % of Belgians over the age of 15 bought something online. According to GfK's numbers from the very first BeCommerce Market Monitor, there were over 20 million purchases worth 2.1 billion euro in turnover. 

 

About 14 % of all first quarter purchases in Belgium come from online orders, with the average order reaching 307 euro. Flemish orders rank slightly higher at 331 euro for each online order, compared to the Walloon Region and Brussels (275 euro). When looking at the percentages, Flanders is at the back of the pack, as 'only' 73 % buys something online - compared to 76 % for the other regions.

 

"Belgium is catching up", BeCommerce president, Patricia Ceysens, said. "These excellent first quarter numbers put Belgian eCommerce on track for a 7 billion euro turnover for 2015, with a possible total of 80 million online orders."

 

Mobile still lags behind

"The Belgian consumer is definitely active online, but is still very reticent about mobile purchases", GfK research director Inge Zeeuws said. More than half of online purchases were made using a laptop and a third using desktop computers. In the first quarter, only 7 % of all online orders were placed on a tablet and a mere 3 % on smartphone."

 

A few interesting facts:

 

1. 71 % of those 20 million online orders were for actual products, with the remaining 29 % for services. Splitting the total turnover of 2.1 billion euro into these products and services leads to 42 % of turnover for products and 58 % for services. That shows that while we do buy more products online, we spend more on average for our online services. 

 

2. The credit card is still the most popular means of payment: nearly half (46 %) of online orders were paid with a credit card. Bancontact (23 %) and online bank transfers (13 %) make up the top 3.

 

3. 47 million euro went into shipping costs, which is about 2 % of the total amount spent in that first quarter.

 

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Microsoft builds competitor for Amazon Go

14/06/2018

Microsoft is working on its own technology that should render checkouts in stores obsolete. The American company says it wants to be an ally for the retail sector, mostly in its struggle against Amazon Go.

Amazon bans customers who return too much

24/05/2018

Amazon is putting a stop to customers that return too many items or that “misbehave” according to the retailer: whoever crosses the line, will be banned. Dozens of customers have taken to social media to complain about this unilateral account removal.

LVMH invests millions in fashion search engine Lyst

24/05/2018

French luxury group LVMH, led by Bernard Arnault, will invest millions of dollars in Lyst once again. The luxury fashion search engine wants to expand its global expansion this way.

Amazon now delivers packages to car trunks

25/04/2018

From now on, Amazon delivers orders to the trunk of your car. The retail and technology giant has given its Prime subscribers access to get packaged delivered to the trunk of their car, without any additional costs. The service is currently limited to the United States.

Dutch Beate Uhse division not bankrupt after all

05/04/2018

German Beate Uhse’s Dutch subsidiary has not gone bankrupt after all and will continue its activities in both Belgium and the Netherlands. The company revealed the information itself after bankruptcy rumours surfaced.

Amazon often cheaper than Dutch competitors

03/04/2018

Products that are available on both Dutch web shops and Amazon.de, are cheaper at Amazon in about half the cases. Not only do Dutch stores compete with Amazon.de, which ships to the Netherlands, but there are also rumours that Amazon.nl and Amazon.be will soon become more active.