Alibaba invests billions in physical retail | RetailDetail

Alibaba invests billions in physical retail

Alibaba invests billions in physical retail
Foto: testing / Shutterstock.com

Over the past two years, Chinese eCommerce giant Alibaba has spent nearly seven billion euro in physical retail. Its Hema Xiansheng chain already has thirteen supermarkets and it acquired luxury department store Intime from the government in January.

Hema is not just some supermarket

Alibaba has developed from a online marketplace for local Chinese retailers (Taobao) to an entire ecosystem for consumers worldwide, including its own brands (Haier), a mobile payment service (AliPay) and even its own video services. Omnichannel is the future, the Chinese company said.

 

Just like Amazon, Alibaba has moved into its own version of high-technology supermarkets. Its omnichannel supermarket chain Hema (no relation to the Dutch store chain!) is several steps ahead of Amazon’s own venture into the the food retail industry. Hema Xiansheng has been active in the Chinese market since 20015 and opened another three stores in 2017. The chain now has thirteen supermarkets.

 

According to Alibaba CEO Daniel Zhang, these stores are “not a supermarket, not a food market, but a brand new model.” Shoppers can get fresh sea food prepared at a Chinese Hema and home-delivered within thirty minutes thanks to in-store picking. They can also scan barcodes with their smartphones for more information or use their device to pay using Alipay. The Hema app also provides personalized product suggestions.

 

Offline needed for further growth

“We believe the future of New Retail will become a seamless integration of both online and offline. Hema is a prime example of that evolution”, Zhang said. Nevertheless, Alibaba does not want to manage a major physical chain: both Hema and Intime are mainly examples that have to show New Retail’s advantages to both consumers and retailers alike.  

 

The company had already revealed it is not necessarily intent on increasing its Chinese eCommerce market share, which accounts for about 15 % of China’s overall retail value, but that it wants to digitize physical retail (the remaining 85 %) in order to enable further growth. If it wants to continue its consistent growth pace, it will indeed need to tackle physical retail.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Gerelateerde items

JD.com to launch 1,000 stores per day

17/04/2018

JD.com has announced plans to open some 1,000 convenience stores per day across China. With this impressive target, the country’s second-largest e-commerce company is giving speed to its ambitions of expanding into the offline market.

Dutch Beate Uhse division not bankrupt after all

05/04/2018

German Beate Uhse’s Dutch subsidiary has not gone bankrupt after all and will continue its activities in both Belgium and the Netherlands. The company revealed the information itself after bankruptcy rumours surfaced.

Walmart launches new high-tech store concept in China

03/04/2018

American retail chain Walmart is expanding in China with a smaller version of its well-known hypermarket. The high-tech supermarket explicitly targets the growing population of online shoppers in China by offering payments through mobile application WeChat

Amazon often cheaper than Dutch competitors

03/04/2018

Products that are available on both Dutch web shops and Amazon.de, are cheaper at Amazon in about half the cases. Not only do Dutch stores compete with Amazon.de, which ships to the Netherlands, but there are also rumours that Amazon.nl and Amazon.be will soon become more active.

Trump targets Amazon

03/04/2018

President Donald Trump has apparently targeted Amazon as his new enemy. He feels the retail giant is taking advantage of the U.S. Postal Service, something he wishes to remedy with a series of new rules and legislation.

Amazon undisputed ruler of French online world

29/03/2018

Amazon is the undisputed leader of the French online world thanks to a 5.6 billion euro turnover and a 19 % market share. According to Kantar Worldpanel, the overall online market in France was worth 30 billion euro in 2017.