South African investor acquires New Look

South African investor acquires New Look

South African investor Brait has acquired 90 % of the British fashion company New Look for 780 million pounds (1.1 billion euro). The founder's familiy and current management will control the remaining 10 % of shares.

No IPO

In the light of this deal, New Look's value is now estimated to be 2 billion pounds (2.8 billion euro), including debt. It is currently the second largest women's fashion retailer in the United Kingdom and was the property of two investment companies, Apax and Permira, from 2004 until now.

 

New Look, founded in 1969, currently has more than 1,200 stores worldwide and had always been British up until Brait's acquisition. Brait itself was founded by South African billionaire Christo Wiese.

 

New Look's CEO, Anders Kristiansen, teased a possible IPO at the start of the year, but that plan won't come to fruition now as Kristiansen believes the Brait deal is better for New Look in the long run.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Small Belgian brewery conquers Brazil thanks to playing cards

13/09/2017

Het Nest, a small brewery from Turnhout, will get its beers brewed in Brazil as well. It has struck a deal with Cervejaria Premium Paulista, which will brew and distribute the beers locally.

Price cuts drive 25 % more customers to Whole Foods

12/09/2017

Supermarket chain Whole Foods welcomed an additional 25 % of customers in the first few days following Amazon’s price cuts.

Ter Beke enters British food service industry

12/09/2017

Belgian food group Ter Beke has acquired a 90 % stake in British competitor KK Fine Foods for an undisclosed fee. The current shareholders hold onto the other 10 %.

Godiva wants to conquer the world through supermarkets

12/09/2017

Belgian praline brand Godiva will soon sell its chocolate in supermarkets all over the world after signing a deal with chains like Albert Heijn and Sainsbury’s. Previously, it sold nearly all its chocolate through its own store network.

Insight: Xavier Piesvaux' seven labours at Delhaize

10/09/2017

Can one French and several Dutch managers do what the Belgian management failed to do these past few years at Delhaize Belgium? Its new CEO will face plenty of challenges: we count at least seven.

Nestlé USA acquires food manufacturer Sweet Earth

08/09/2017

Nestlé USA has acquired American Sweet Earth for an undisclosed fee. The company mainly manufactures meat replacements, a rapidly-growing market, but also several frozen meals.

Back to top