Owner places new CEO at Mexx

Owner places new CEO at Mexx

Dutch fashion brand Mexx will be led by another CEO after Douglas Diemoz only lasted 10 months. Mark Stone will take charge of the company, coming from shareholder Gores.

Mexx lost its way after founder resigns

American investment fund Gores has been the majority share holder since 2011, after paying 60 million euro (85 million dollars) to acquire 81.25% of the clothing brand. Gores recently acquired the remaining 18.75 %, granting them full control of Mexx.


At the time of Gores’ first involvement, Mexx was already on a downward sales spiral and taking increasing losses. Liz Claiborne, who had purchased Mexx from founder Rattan Chadha in 2001, could not steady the ship after the founder resigned in 2006.

Business plan changes focus

Gores helped create a new business plan, focusing on the closure of non-performing stores, a renovation of other stores and the opening of ten to fifteen new stores per year. Those stores would need to refocus on wholesale and the middle part of the market.

 

Thomas Grote, former Esprit executive, took charge of Mexx in October 2009 and had to steer the company through these changes. He left in May 2012, leaving the company in the hands of Douglas Diemoz, a former employee of Gap and Old Navy. With Mexx, he started out as financial director, then took responsibility for the transformation process, before ending up as CEO.

 

Results have been underwhelming though, considering the heavy competition from H&M and Zara, among others. Gores is now taking matters into its own hands, placing someone from within to head Mexx.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Small Belgian brewery conquers Brazil thanks to playing cards

13/09/2017

Het Nest, a small brewery from Turnhout, will get its beers brewed in Brazil as well. It has struck a deal with Cervejaria Premium Paulista, which will brew and distribute the beers locally.

Price cuts drive 25 % more customers to Whole Foods

12/09/2017

Supermarket chain Whole Foods welcomed an additional 25 % of customers in the first few days following Amazon’s price cuts.

Ter Beke enters British food service industry

12/09/2017

Belgian food group Ter Beke has acquired a 90 % stake in British competitor KK Fine Foods for an undisclosed fee. The current shareholders hold onto the other 10 %.

Godiva wants to conquer the world through supermarkets

12/09/2017

Belgian praline brand Godiva will soon sell its chocolate in supermarkets all over the world after signing a deal with chains like Albert Heijn and Sainsbury’s. Previously, it sold nearly all its chocolate through its own store network.

Insight: Xavier Piesvaux' seven labours at Delhaize

10/09/2017

Can one French and several Dutch managers do what the Belgian management failed to do these past few years at Delhaize Belgium? Its new CEO will face plenty of challenges: we count at least seven.

Nestlé USA acquires food manufacturer Sweet Earth

08/09/2017

Nestlé USA has acquired American Sweet Earth for an undisclosed fee. The company mainly manufactures meat replacements, a rapidly-growing market, but also several frozen meals.

Back to top