LVMH buys Italian cashmere brand Loro Piana

LVMH buys Italian cashmere brand Loro Piana

French luxury group LVMH has acquired a majority in Loro Piana, an Italian fashion company specialised in exclusive fabrics such as cashmere, merino and vicuña.

Coats starting from 14,000 euro

The French luxury company of billionaire Bernard Arnault is paying two billion euro for 80 percent of the shares in one of the most exclusive Italian clothing producers. The remaining 20% will stay with Sergio and Pier Luigi Loro Piana, the sixth generation of the family that is at the helm of the company and that is also where they will remain.

 

Loro Piana is one of Europe’s most specialised processors of cashmere from Mongolia, merino from Australia and vicuña from the Andes. Those exclusive fabrics get used in equally exclusive pieces of clothing that are definitely not for everyone: a coat of Loro Piana can easily cost you 14,000 euro.

 

Despite – or maybe because of – that focus on luxury Loro Piana has been on the rise for years. The company saw its sales rise by 13% to 630 million euro and if it is up to the brothers Sergio and Pier Luigi, the company will hit the target of 700 million euro this year. That would mean another rise of 10 percent.

 

“Only with Arnault”

Therefore it is no wonder the French king of luxury has set his mind on the Italian label and its interesting contacts and experience. In an interview with the French paper Le Figaro, the brothers Loro Piana say they “only wanted to negotiate with Bernard Arnault”: “We know his capacity to retain the identity of brands and still have them evolve. Remember Dior, Guerlain, Fendi…”

 

At the stock market the takeover was greeted with applause: LVMH was the strongest climber of the day at the CAC40.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Small Belgian brewery conquers Brazil thanks to playing cards

13/09/2017

Het Nest, a small brewery from Turnhout, will get its beers brewed in Brazil as well. It has struck a deal with Cervejaria Premium Paulista, which will brew and distribute the beers locally.

Price cuts drive 25 % more customers to Whole Foods

12/09/2017

Supermarket chain Whole Foods welcomed an additional 25 % of customers in the first few days following Amazon’s price cuts.

Ter Beke enters British food service industry

12/09/2017

Belgian food group Ter Beke has acquired a 90 % stake in British competitor KK Fine Foods for an undisclosed fee. The current shareholders hold onto the other 10 %.

Godiva wants to conquer the world through supermarkets

12/09/2017

Belgian praline brand Godiva will soon sell its chocolate in supermarkets all over the world after signing a deal with chains like Albert Heijn and Sainsbury’s. Previously, it sold nearly all its chocolate through its own store network.

Insight: Xavier Piesvaux' seven labours at Delhaize

10/09/2017

Can one French and several Dutch managers do what the Belgian management failed to do these past few years at Delhaize Belgium? Its new CEO will face plenty of challenges: we count at least seven.

Nestlé USA acquires food manufacturer Sweet Earth

08/09/2017

Nestlé USA has acquired American Sweet Earth for an undisclosed fee. The company mainly manufactures meat replacements, a rapidly-growing market, but also several frozen meals.

Back to top