Le Pain Quotidien trials vegetarian formula | RetailDetail

Le Pain Quotidien trials vegetarian formula

Le Pain Quotidien trials vegetarian formula

Belgian bread chain Le Pain Quotidien will soon open its very first vegetarian and vegan restaurant in Ghent, Belgium. To avoid any misunderstandings with its regular restaurants, it will use a new brand name, Le Botaniste.

Laboratory

The project is still in its infancy, but the goal is to create a sustainable restaurant with only locally-produced, seasonal items on the menu. Prices would vary from 5 to 10 euro. "People should look at it like a Pain Quotidien laboratory", CEO Vincent Herbert said. "We want to try out things and see how the consumer reacts. If the dishes prove to be popular, we can easily branch out those dishes internationally thanks to our chain of restaurants."

 

Currently, there are no plans to expand the formula on a global scale, but the company does not want to rule out that idea altogether. If it is successful, other cities or countries may get their own Le Botaniste stores.

 

Le Pain Quotidien's holding, PQ Licensing, owns 60 % of the new formula, while the remaining 40 % belongs to the Le Pain Quotidien founder Alain Coumont and entrepreneur Gregory Verellen. 25 years after its launch, Coument still owns 3 % of 'his' Pain Quotidien chain.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Komono wants to reach 10 physical stores this year

17/05/2018

Belgian accessory label Komono wants to double its number of physical stores to ten this year. “The stores are important to tell our story”, Anton Janssens and Raf Maes told De Standaard.

Hema has to pay Levi's millions

17/05/2018

Store chain Hema needs to pay a 4.4 million euro fine to jeans brand Levi’s after the latter went to court because Hema applied its V-shaped stitching to its own collection.

Suitsupply suffers losses because of expansion

15/05/2018

Dutch Suitsupply has experienced a decent turnover growth last year, but its net result tumbled below zero because of its huge investments. Nevertheless, that is the only way forward according to its founder, whose focus is still fixed on the United States.

Starting this Friday, Belgium has its own national e-commerce event

15/05/2018

Move over, Black Friday! This week, Belgium launches its own national e-commerce event as Jack & Jones, Kiabi, La Redoute, Sarenza, Tape à l'Oeil and Veritas organise the first Belgian Friday.

H&M is turning to algorithms to boost sales again

14/05/2018

In an effort to reverse the decline in its worldwide sales, H&M is using technology that will help the world’s largest clothing brand stock its stores more efficiently, sell more effectively and adapt more quickly to current consumer trends.

Zalando's profit wiped away in first quarter

08/05/2018

German online retailer Zalando saw its first quarter profit completely wiped away: last year's 5.1 million euro net profit turned into a 15 million euro loss. Turnover grew 22 %, investments being the cause for both.