European approval for DE Master Blenders and Mondelez merger | RetailDetail

European approval for DE Master Blenders and Mondelez merger

European approval for DE Master Blenders and Mondelez merger

The European Commission has decided that the merger between coffee manufacturer DE Master Blenders 1753 and food concern Mondelez International is no threat to the free market. Once finalized, the new company will be called Jacobs Douwe Egberts.

Fear of price hikes

The European Commission launched an investigation into the merger last year, because it feared that would lead to price hikes as both companies have plenty of coffee brands in their portfolio. Particularly in the coffee pad market, both companies have quite a bit of influence. To get the merger approved, Mondelez will sell its shares in Carte Noir (Europe), while DE Master Blenders will sell off its European Merrild activities.

 

The deal will give Mondelez 5 billion dollars (4.5 billion euro) and 49 % of shares in the new company, called Jacobs Douwe Egberts. DE Master Blenders will get the remaining 51 % and the guarantee that the merger company's main office will be in the Netherlands.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Komono wants to reach 10 physical stores this year

17/05/2018

Belgian accessory label Komono wants to double its number of physical stores to ten this year. “The stores are important to tell our story”, Anton Janssens and Raf Maes told De Standaard.

Hema has to pay Levi's millions

17/05/2018

Store chain Hema needs to pay a 4.4 million euro fine to jeans brand Levi’s after the latter went to court because Hema applied its V-shaped stitching to its own collection.

Suitsupply suffers losses because of expansion

15/05/2018

Dutch Suitsupply has experienced a decent turnover growth last year, but its net result tumbled below zero because of its huge investments. Nevertheless, that is the only way forward according to its founder, whose focus is still fixed on the United States.

Starting this Friday, Belgium has its own national e-commerce event

15/05/2018

Move over, Black Friday! This week, Belgium launches its own national e-commerce event as Jack & Jones, Kiabi, La Redoute, Sarenza, Tape à l'Oeil and Veritas organise the first Belgian Friday.

H&M is turning to algorithms to boost sales again

14/05/2018

In an effort to reverse the decline in its worldwide sales, H&M is using technology that will help the world’s largest clothing brand stock its stores more efficiently, sell more effectively and adapt more quickly to current consumer trends.

Zalando's profit wiped away in first quarter

08/05/2018

German online retailer Zalando saw its first quarter profit completely wiped away: last year's 5.1 million euro net profit turned into a 15 million euro loss. Turnover grew 22 %, investments being the cause for both.