E.Leclerc for the first time bigger than Carrefour in France | RetailDetail

E.Leclerc for the first time bigger than Carrefour in France

E.Leclerc for the first time bigger than Carrefour in France

The French distribution world has been turned upside down: for the first time Carrefour has lost its position as market leader. Market research agency Kantar WorldPanel did the math and concluded that challenger E.Leclerc in the four weeks from 22 April to 19 May obtained a market share of 19.9%, compared to 19.6% for Carrefour.

Sooner than expected

CEO Michel-Edouard Leclerc had predicted this a few weeks ago: “We will be bigger than Carrefour in 2014 and not, as said earlier, somewhere in 2015.” He has been proven right, but much sooner than expected. The study “Référenseigne Flash” of Kantar WorldPanel showed that Leclerc had a market share of 19.9% (+1.2% on a yearly basis) in the period from 22 April to 19 May, while Carrefour stranded at 19.6% (-0.8%) in those same four weeks.

 

Over a period of twelve months Carrefour still has the largest market share, but “it is a clear signal that the gap between the groups E.Leclerc and Carrefour has been melting away the past few months”, the authors of the study write in a confidential document, which was handed to the distributors on Tuesday and which could be looked into by French paper Le Figaro.

 

New joint venture in Africa

In the meantime Carrefour seems to be focussing more and more on Africa. The giant from Boulogne-Billancourt signed a letter of intent at the end of May to start a joint venture with African distributor CFAO. CFAO will have 55% of the shares, the other 45% are for Carrefour.

 

The joint venture would give Carrefour the chance to open stores in countries such as Cameroon, both Congos, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria and Senegal. The first Carrefour hypermarket has to open in 2015 in Abidjan, the largest city in Ivory Coast.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Gucci grows nearly 50 % thanks to nineties revival

25/04/2018

French luxury group Kering experienced a strong first quarter, with a 36.5 % turnover increase. Mainly Gucci took full advantage of a 90’s revival vibe among young consumers: the luxury brand is “hot” among teens and its turnover reflected that, with a 48.7 % boost.

Five years after Rana Plaza disaster: “Governments should demand sustainable production”

24/04/2018

Five years after the Rana Plaza clothing factories in Bangladesh collapsed, several governments have created measures to force manufacturers to have more sustainable production, but the labour conditions have not improved for everyone.

Grupo Cortefiel will continue as Tendam

23/04/2018

Spanish fashion group Grupo Cortefiel is changing its name to Tendam, with the intention of creating a new corporate identity for its five brands: Cortefiel, Women’s Secret, Pedro del Hierro, Fifty Factory and Springfield.

Monki lets 'influencers' earn money

16/04/2018

H&M subsidiary Monki will collaborate with ‘influencers’: the fashion label will launch a global program for social media figures, who can earn money if they sell clothing.

Chinese investment group now owns fashion chain Naf Naf

12/04/2018

French fashion chain Naf Naf, part of the Vivarte group, has a new owner. A chinese group, led by fashion group La Chapelle, paid 52 million euro to acquire it.

French Connection sells Toast to Bestseller group

10/04/2018

British fashion retailer French Connection, known for its FCUK quote, has sold its Toast subsidiary to Danish clothing group Bestseller, which also owns brands like Vero Moda and Jack & Jones.