Duvel Moortgat acquires another American brewery | RetailDetail

Duvel Moortgat acquires another American brewery

Duvel Moortgat acquires another American brewery

Belgian brewery Duvel Moortgat is to acquire a third American "craft brewery", the Firestone Walker Brewing Company from Paso Robles, California.

Growth in craft beer market

The Belgian company will get most of the shares, while the founders will maintain control over the remainder. Neither party was willing to divulge any information about the sums involved in the acquisition.

 

Duvel Moortgat already owns the Brewery Ommegang (Cooperstown, New York) and Boulevard Brewing Company (Kansas City, Missouri). The company feels there is a huge potential for growth in the United States, currently the second largest beer market in the world, while craft beers have grown a lot in popularity recently.

 

"Craft beer already represents 11 % of the total volume and 19 % of the dollars spent on beer in the United States", CEO Michel Moortgat said. "That growth will continue. Craft beers represent 30 % of Belgian volume and that means that the current 11 % in the US will probably grow to 20 %, maybe even 30 %."

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Adidas wants to strengthen bond with small retailers

15/07/2018

German sportswear giant Adidas says it wants to strengthen its bond with small-scale retailers after they claimed Adidas is too aggressive in pushing its web shop, especially as they feel the brand is favouring large international chains as well.

Several candidates to take over Men at Work

12/07/2018

There are several takeover candidates for both the Dutch and the Belgian stores of the bankrupt clothing chain Men at work. The curator is confident an agreement should be reached today in Belgium.

Burberry sales increases thanks to new strategy

11/07/2018

The new strategy of the British fashion brand Burberry starts to render: the company had a 3% increase of revenue in their own stores last quarter. In total, Burberry has now a revenue of 479 million pounds (520 million euros).

FNG moves to Brussels stock exchange

06/07/2018

Belgian fashion group FNG has collected 60 million euros by issuing new shares. The new shares will be traded on the Amsterdam Stock Exchange and - for the first time - on the Brussels Stock Exchange as well.

Athleteshop ends its run

02/07/2018

Dutch sports web shop Athleteshop has filed for bankruptcy, after an abysmal year in which strings of complaints led to all sorts of problems. Social media and review sites were flooded with customers complaining about late deliveries.

Alibaba goes Turkish with stake in Trendyol

29/06/2018

Alibaba is the new strategic partner of Trendyol, one of the best-known e-commerce companies in Turkey. With this partnership, the Chinese retailgroup strengthens its presence in Europe.