Delhaize faces Serbian buyout delay | RetailDetail

Delhaize faces Serbian buyout delay

Delhaize faces Serbian buyout delay

For the time being Belgian retail group Delhaize cannot take over the 16% of C Market shares owned by the Serbian state, because an investigation into the privatisation of the chain eight years ago has been started. Delhaize is not part of the investigation, but the authorities want to finish the enquiry into the previous C Market owner.

Possible fraud during privatisation

In 2005, the richest man in Serbia, Miroslav Mišković, struck gold during a wave of privatisations: no less than 24 companies came into his hands in what now appear to be very suspicious circumstances. Amongst those companies was also C Market of the Delta Maxi Group, which Delhaize bought in 2011.

 

Mišković has been in jail since December, awaiting the further course of the investigation. To not endanger the investigation, the Serbian court has decided to freeze the buyout bid of 16% of shares of C Market for half a year.

 

Important market for Delhaize

Early February Delhaize said it wanted to buy out the Serbian government for an amount of 9.7 million euro, to get hold of 91% of C Market - the other 9% are owned by employees. The Belgian chain already bought three quarters of shares when it bought the Delta Maxi Group in 2011.

 

“For Delhaize nothing changes”, says spokesman Steven Vandenbroeke: “We already are the majority shareholder, so practically the delay of the buyout has no consequences. We are also not involved in the investigation and this is only a delay: it will not have any impact on Delhaize.”

 

Serbia is an important market for Delhaize, which had a huge rise in sales in Southern Europe last year. Until now the chain is still the only Western European country that got a foothold in that region, be it through a takeover.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Belgian FNG Group wants speedy flotation in Brussels

13/06/2018

Belgian fashion group FNG hopes it can enter the Brussels stock exchange as early as next month, in order to secure a lot of new investments for the further expansion of its Brantano chain.

Zalando lets your smartphone choose your gift

06/06/2018

Starting from October, you can literally ask your smart phone which gift it wants to pick for you. Zalando and Google are collaborating on a gift-picking chat bot for the virtual Google Assistant, which is present on all Android phones.

Brantano wants to become "as big as Zalando"

06/06/2018

While Zalando is a strong multinational player, there has to be room in Belgium for a strong local fashion web shop. Dieter Penninckx, FNG Group's CEO, thinks that his brand Brantano can claim that place.

Web boutique CarréCouture relaunches after bankruptcy

28/05/2018

Belgian luxury web shop CarréCouture has gone bankrupt after a mere year. The Van Gansewinkel family, known from the waste company and co-owner of this formula, will try to relaunch anyway.

Isabel Marant opens first Dutch store

24/05/2018

Fashion brand Isabel Marant opened its very first Dutch boutique in Amsterdam. It is located in the P.C. Hooftstraat, in a former McGregor store.

Zara opens new flagship store with holograms and robots

18/05/2018

Zara’s remodeled flagship store in Stratford (London) welcomes customers with holograms, robot arms and iPad-powered employees. The store wants to unite the best of both the online and offline shopping world.