South African tycoon buys New Look

South African tycoon buys New Look

Billionaire Christo Wiese's company Brait acquired a 90 % stake in British fashion chain New Look, which had been investment funds Apax and Permira's property up until now.

Debt

Both companies have now sold their share to Brait for 780 million pounds (1.1 billion euro), after having paid 700 million pounds (970 million euro) for 90 % of the company back in 2004. The remaining 10 % have been and will remain under control of founder Tom Singh's family and several members of the board.

 

Analysts say Apax and Permira were desperate to sell off New Look, a company which has a 1 billion dollar (1.4 billion euro) debt. They had planned to bring the company to the stock exchange in 2010, but that plan never materialized.

 

Brait says the chain's 600 stores in the United Kingdom and its potential reach in China and Europe were the main reasons for the acquisition. Current CEO Anders Kristiansen will stay on as CEO.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Small Belgian brewery conquers Brazil thanks to playing cards

13/09/2017

Het Nest, a small brewery from Turnhout, will get its beers brewed in Brazil as well. It has struck a deal with Cervejaria Premium Paulista, which will brew and distribute the beers locally.

Price cuts drive 25 % more customers to Whole Foods

12/09/2017

Supermarket chain Whole Foods welcomed an additional 25 % of customers in the first few days following Amazon’s price cuts.

Ter Beke enters British food service industry

12/09/2017

Belgian food group Ter Beke has acquired a 90 % stake in British competitor KK Fine Foods for an undisclosed fee. The current shareholders hold onto the other 10 %.

Godiva wants to conquer the world through supermarkets

12/09/2017

Belgian praline brand Godiva will soon sell its chocolate in supermarkets all over the world after signing a deal with chains like Albert Heijn and Sainsbury’s. Previously, it sold nearly all its chocolate through its own store network.

Insight: Xavier Piesvaux' seven labours at Delhaize

10/09/2017

Can one French and several Dutch managers do what the Belgian management failed to do these past few years at Delhaize Belgium? Its new CEO will face plenty of challenges: we count at least seven.

Nestlé USA acquires food manufacturer Sweet Earth

08/09/2017

Nestlé USA has acquired American Sweet Earth for an undisclosed fee. The company mainly manufactures meat replacements, a rapidly-growing market, but also several frozen meals.

Back to top