New shops take sales Decathlon above 7 billion

New shops take sales Decathlon above 7 billion

French Oxylane, the parent company of Decathlon, had sales for over seven billion euro in 2012, a rise of 7.2%. The progress is mainly due to the expansion of the number of locations by 58 shops, as on a comparable basis there would have been a growth of only 1.3%. That low number was due to the economic crisis in Spain, Decathlon's second home market.

Focus on Asia

The 58 store openings meant a total of 653 at the end of last year, but more new locations in 2013 mean that by the end of the year the company will have more than 700 locations. The focus of that expansion will be in Asia: last year 15 Chinese stores were opened, giving a total of 54 shops, which is set to increase dramatically this year.

 

A second important market will be India, where Decathlon hopes to profit from the approval to sell directly to consumers. Until now it had to work via cash & carry, reserved for professional resellers.

 

Decathlon will also focus on Brazil, Russia and Bulgaria, ensuring a growth of the number of markets to 22 countries. Last year a first store was opened in Taiwan. Almost half of sales are made in France (43.5%), leaving 56.5% for abroad. 

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Ellis Gourmet Burger wants partner for international expansion

15/12/2017

Belgian hamburger restaurant chain Ellis Gourmet Burger wants to expand into new countries, following Belgium, the Netherlands and France. That is why it seeks an investor to help finance that expansion, which may lead to a new majority shareholder.

Heineken will sell Mort Subite internationally

15/12/2017

Heineken will try to sell its Belgian beer brand Mort Subite all across the world. It has done similarly with Affligem and that proved to be a major success. Mort Subite will be on sale in every country that has Heineken.

Amazon brings its private labels to Europe

14/12/2017

After it introduced Amazon Prime to an increased number of European markets, Amazon is now bringing in its own FMCG private labels. Over the past few weeks, the online department store launched several private label products in Europe and it has plans for even more. 

Albert Heijn pulls plug on AH to go in Germany

14/12/2017

Albert Heijn has decided to shut down its German AH convenience stores. According to the supermarket company, the chain does not have enough room to grow in Germany despite having built up its presence in the past five years.

Carrefour continues to lose French market share

13/12/2017

Kantar Worldpanel’s new numbers underline the fact that Carrefour CEO Alexandre Bompard is facing a huge challenge. Out of every supermarket chain, his chain suffered the largest market share loss in France last month.

New Metro still struggles in the Netherlands and Belgium

13/12/2017

German food retail group Metro says it has created a solid foundation for new growth in its first year since it stepped away from its non-food activities. The Benelux are still worrisome however. 

Back to top