McDonald’s sells its Chinese activities to investors

McDonald’s sells its Chinese activities to investors

Fast food chainMcDonald’s has sold a controlling stake in its Chinese operations for 1.6 billion euro as part of its restructuring plans. The new majority owners are a Chinese investment fund.

Streamline operations

Chinese Citic Ltd., Citic Capital Holdings (52 %) and American private equity firm Carlyle Group (28 %) will get a 80 % stake in the holding, with McDonald’s in control of the remaining 20 %. The goal is to add another 1,500 restaurants in China over the next five years, mainly in smaller Chinese cities. 

 

McDonald’s is trying to streamline its worldwide business, in order to better withstand smaller, more agile competitors and better serve the middle-class Chinese consumers who seek healthier food of higher qualities. It looks to do similarly in other Asian markets, like Japan and South Korea.

 

Expand aggressively

According to China Market Research Group analyst Ben Cavender the deal will drive McDonald’s expansion forward at a rapid pace. He also feels “Citic and Carlyle’s resources will allow McDonald’s […] to refurbish old restaurants, which is expensive to do”. The company trails KFC in store count, which will probably be a reason for its intentions to add 300 new restaurants every year, adding to its current 2,400. 

 

The 1.6 billion price tag may seem exuberant, especially considering the 20-year franchise rights and high costs for expansion and refurbishment, but Cavender says the chains are actually “cash machines”. McDonald’s CEO Steve Easterbrook says he wanted to collaborate with partners “who have an unmatched understanding of the local markets and bring enhanced capabilities and new partnerships”.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Gerelateerde items

Small Belgian brewery conquers Brazil thanks to playing cards

13/09/2017

Het Nest, a small brewery from Turnhout, will get its beers brewed in Brazil as well. It has struck a deal with Cervejaria Premium Paulista, which will brew and distribute the beers locally.

Price cuts drive 25 % more customers to Whole Foods

12/09/2017

Supermarket chain Whole Foods welcomed an additional 25 % of customers in the first few days following Amazon’s price cuts.

Ter Beke enters British food service industry

12/09/2017

Belgian food group Ter Beke has acquired a 90 % stake in British competitor KK Fine Foods for an undisclosed fee. The current shareholders hold onto the other 10 %.

Godiva wants to conquer the world through supermarkets

12/09/2017

Belgian praline brand Godiva will soon sell its chocolate in supermarkets all over the world after signing a deal with chains like Albert Heijn and Sainsbury’s. Previously, it sold nearly all its chocolate through its own store network.

Insight: Xavier Piesvaux' seven labours at Delhaize

10/09/2017

Can one French and several Dutch managers do what the Belgian management failed to do these past few years at Delhaize Belgium? Its new CEO will face plenty of challenges: we count at least seven.

Nestlé USA acquires food manufacturer Sweet Earth

08/09/2017

Nestlé USA has acquired American Sweet Earth for an undisclosed fee. The company mainly manufactures meat replacements, a rapidly-growing market, but also several frozen meals.

Back to top