Intimacy heavy burden on Van de Velde

Intimacy heavy burden on Van de Velde

Lingerie producer Van de Velde will evaluate whether it has to lower the balance sheet value of Intimacy, an American chain, because the channel’s sales dropped considerably and it might have breached credit card regulations on several occasions.

American sales below expectations

In 2007, Van de Velde bought a 49 % stake in Intimacy, which it enlarged in 2010 to 85 % with an option to buy the remaining 15 %, but Intimacy sales are well below the expectations as the 2013 turnover dropped a little over 12 %. Nevertheless, those were encouraging numbers considering the drop in like-for-like turnover was smaller in the second part (- 4.8 %) than in the first part of 2013 (- 11 %).

Intimacy has also been summoned for alleged breaches of the credit card legislation in America, because there is a dispute about which credit card details can be placed on a receipt. The case is still only being investigated, but Van de Velde has stated that customers have not been disadvantaged at all.

The chain, located in Schellebelle, is now waiting to see how things evolve. “The impact on the carrying value of the Intimacy brand name and goodwill will be examined when the figures are compiled for the first six months of the year”, a press release stated.

Profit 25 % higher

Van de Velde’s numbers for 2013 showed that it performed admirably in the past year, with a 0.4 % turnover increase compared to 2012, to 182.4 million euro. An expensive euro, which caused currency exchanges to negatively affect the numbers, and Intimacy’s issues were a setback.

Despite all this, net profit grew 24 % to 31.8 million euro, but in 2012 it had to recognize an 8 million euro impairment on goodwill and the Andres Sarda brand name. Shareholder dividends are maintained at 2.15 euro per share.

Promising start to 2014

Van de Velde sees promising things for wholesale in the first six months of 2014 with a light growth in lingerie preorders, even for Andres Sarda. PrimaDonna’s recently-launched Swim collection is also putting up excellent numbers.

Retailwise, Van de Velde is looking towards Great Britain, Germany and Asia where it hopes to expand Rigby & Peller, whereas the Netherlands will get more of the Lincherie concept.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Small Belgian brewery conquers Brazil thanks to playing cards

13/09/2017

Het Nest, a small brewery from Turnhout, will get its beers brewed in Brazil as well. It has struck a deal with Cervejaria Premium Paulista, which will brew and distribute the beers locally.

Price cuts drive 25 % more customers to Whole Foods

12/09/2017

Supermarket chain Whole Foods welcomed an additional 25 % of customers in the first few days following Amazon’s price cuts.

Ter Beke enters British food service industry

12/09/2017

Belgian food group Ter Beke has acquired a 90 % stake in British competitor KK Fine Foods for an undisclosed fee. The current shareholders hold onto the other 10 %.

Godiva wants to conquer the world through supermarkets

12/09/2017

Belgian praline brand Godiva will soon sell its chocolate in supermarkets all over the world after signing a deal with chains like Albert Heijn and Sainsbury’s. Previously, it sold nearly all its chocolate through its own store network.

Insight: Xavier Piesvaux' seven labours at Delhaize

10/09/2017

Can one French and several Dutch managers do what the Belgian management failed to do these past few years at Delhaize Belgium? Its new CEO will face plenty of challenges: we count at least seven.

Nestlé USA acquires food manufacturer Sweet Earth

08/09/2017

Nestlé USA has acquired American Sweet Earth for an undisclosed fee. The company mainly manufactures meat replacements, a rapidly-growing market, but also several frozen meals.

Back to top