Fashion firm Sonia Rykiel in Chinese hands

Fashion firm Sonia Rykiel in Chinese hands

Investment group Fung Brands from Hong Kong has acquired 80% of the shares of the French fashion company Sonia Rykiel for an undisclosed amount. The founding family keeps the remaining 20%, but cedes control to the Chinese group.

Going for the major markets

Under the influence of Sonia's daughter Nathalie Rykiel, the fashion company wanted to enter major markets like the US and China, but lacked the necessary funding. After apparently turning down LVMH (Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy), PPR (Pinault Printemps Redoute) and Richemont, the Rykiel family went for Fung Brands to become the leading fashion brand of the group.

 

Fung Brands, already owner of Belgian luxury leather producer Delvaux, is also one of the largest suppliers of slightly more down-to-earth giants like Walmart and Marks & Spencer through their Li & Fung company. 

 

Fashion 'habitué' takes over

After the acquisition, Jean-Marc Loubier will take command of the company that was founded in 1968 by students who were fed up with stiff bourgeois fashion. Loubier has already worked for fashion companies like Louis Vuitton and Escada. Unlike Nathalie Rykiel, her stylist April Chrichton will not be replaced by the new owners.

 

Hermès is now the only luxury group that is still almost completely in French hands, as its founding family holds almost almost 63% of the shares. Sonia Rykiel had a turnover of 90 million in 2011, gathered through 1,700 stores in 30 countries.
 

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Small Belgian brewery conquers Brazil thanks to playing cards

13/09/2017

Het Nest, a small brewery from Turnhout, will get its beers brewed in Brazil as well. It has struck a deal with Cervejaria Premium Paulista, which will brew and distribute the beers locally.

Price cuts drive 25 % more customers to Whole Foods

12/09/2017

Supermarket chain Whole Foods welcomed an additional 25 % of customers in the first few days following Amazon’s price cuts.

Ter Beke enters British food service industry

12/09/2017

Belgian food group Ter Beke has acquired a 90 % stake in British competitor KK Fine Foods for an undisclosed fee. The current shareholders hold onto the other 10 %.

Godiva wants to conquer the world through supermarkets

12/09/2017

Belgian praline brand Godiva will soon sell its chocolate in supermarkets all over the world after signing a deal with chains like Albert Heijn and Sainsbury’s. Previously, it sold nearly all its chocolate through its own store network.

Insight: Xavier Piesvaux' seven labours at Delhaize

10/09/2017

Can one French and several Dutch managers do what the Belgian management failed to do these past few years at Delhaize Belgium? Its new CEO will face plenty of challenges: we count at least seven.

Nestlé USA acquires food manufacturer Sweet Earth

08/09/2017

Nestlé USA has acquired American Sweet Earth for an undisclosed fee. The company mainly manufactures meat replacements, a rapidly-growing market, but also several frozen meals.

Back to top