Wordline - Equens merger in the making | RetailDetail

Wordline - Equens merger in the making

Wordline - Equens merger in the making

Payment processing service Worldline will merge with its Dutch competitor Equens to become "a leader in the consolidation of European payments". 

French-Dutch marriage

Several days after Visa Inc. announced it would buy back Visa Europe, another merger is on the horizon for the payment service industry as French Worldline and Dutch Equens will join forces in a new merger company called Equens Worldline Company. It should become fully operational in the second quarter of 2016.

 

Worldline would have 63.6 % of shares in the new company for its share of the financial and payment acceptance processing activities. Equens' current shareholders (the Dutch banks ABN AMRO, DZ BANK, ICBPI, ING and Rabobank) will get the remaining 36.4 %.

 

Worldline will also pay 72 million euro for Paysquare, Equens' commercial acquiring activities and responsible for the payment transaction of some 120,000 retailers hailing from 4 countries.

 

16 billion transactions per year

Last year, Equens handled 5 billion transactions in stores and ATM pick-ups, but still posted a 7 million euro net loss - after restructuring costs. Operational profit was 20 million euro, on a 357 million euro turnover. Worldline on the other hand dealt with 1.5 billion card transactions and 655 million eCommerce transactions in 2014, resulting in a 1.149 billion euro company turnover and a 100 million euro net profit.

 

The new company will handle 16 billion transactions (10 billion transfers and 6 billion store and ATM transactions) and take care of 100 million cards. Equens Wordlline Company will have offices in 8 countries.

Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact the editors


Walmart and Microsoft team up to beat Amazon

18/07/2018

Two major American companies join forces to try to beat the omnipresent threat of Amazon: Walmart (Amazon's biggest competitor in retail) and Microsoft (Amazon's main rival in cloud services) have signed a strategic partnership for the next five years.

Sales of PCs grows for the first time in six years

13/07/2018

For the first time in six years computer sales showed growth again: in the second quarter of 2018 they increased by 1.4%. According to research firms Gartner and IDC, the sales increase is mainly due to growth in business markets.

Retailhub Inspiration Tour: the customer journey becomes very different

09/07/2018

Thanks to Retailhub by RetailDetail, Antwerp has one more unique retail hot spot. Professionals can experience the future of retail in the Benelux' only retail inspiration platform, with 1250 sqm of innovative technology and huge trends.

Breakthrough in Karstadt-Kaufhof merger

05/07/2018

Canadian Hudson’s Bay and Austrian Sigma Holding have not reached a preliminary agreement about the merger of their respective department store chains Kaufhof and Karstadt: the Canadian company says it has only signed a letter of intent.

Alibaba CEO and Belgian PM discuss investment in Liège

04/07/2018

Alibaba founder Jack Ma has discussed a possible investment in Liège, Belgium with the country's prime minister Charles Michel. Afterwards no decisive statements were made by either party.

Toys "R" Us closes American stores amidst reboot hopes

02/07/2018

Final curtains for Toys "R" Us in the United States: all the stores have closed and 30,000 employees are laid off. Against all odds, some however still hope for a second life for the troubled chain.